LLTI Archives

May 2008, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 14:25:35 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Felix Kronenberg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:13:02 -0700
>Subject: position/internship announcement
>From: Felix Kronenberg <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Dear all,

I am very happy to be able to announce a new paid internship position at
Pomona College. It would be ideal for a graduate student conducting research
in the field of language learning and technology and a good stepping stone
for someone who wants to become a language lab/center director.

We have built our new language center over the past two years and are very
excited about its completion this late spring.

Please share this information with your colleagues and students, and
encourage suitable candidates to apply. Please don't hesitate to contact me
if you have any questions. See the job announcement below. More info can be
found on the job web site:

http://www.pomona.edu/HR/staffjobs.shtml

Best, Felix

--
Dr. phil. Felix A. Kronenberg
Foreign Language Resource Center

http://flrc.pomona.edu/
http://german.pomona.edu/
http://bootcamp.pomona.edu/

Full description from the web site:

Language Technology Intern at The Foreign Language Resource Center (FLRC)
P1735
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications
Temporary, part-time, 9-month position
(20 hours per week, some evening hours, mid-August through mid-May)
The Foreign Language Resource Center (FLRC) is part of the Oldenborg Center
for Modern Languages and International Relations at Pomona College. It
explores advances in language technology and promotes creative, sustainable
language production by faculty and their students, both inside and outside
the classroom. The FLRC offers specialized equipment on-site and also
functions as a meeting and coordination space to support those engaged in
studies of target languages and cultures. The Language Technology intern
reports directly to the FLRC head. The intern provides administrative and
technical support to the FLRC and serves as a first point of contact. Ideal
candidates will demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills
as this position interacts with faculty, staff, and students with various
levels of experience in target languages and technology. The intern assists
the FLRC head in day-to-day administration of the center by supervising a
staff of student workers, organizing and completing assigned projects
independently, and by maintaining FLRC security. Flexibility, a willingness
to collaborate with others, and professional discretion are expected. The
FLRC intern is part of a larger team of language professionals at Pomona
College and complements services offered by the Oldenborg Center and modern
language faculty. As such, opportunity exists to contribute to ongoing
projects and research. Maintain language learning resources in the FLRC and
assist faculty and students in their use. Assist FLRC head in ensuring FLRC
is appropriately staffed during business hours. Supervise student worker
staff in the FLRC. Monitor equipment check-out program. Oversee and assist
faculty and students with web-based and technology-enhanced projects and
class assignments. Assist FLRC head with yearly boot camp training program;
additional duties as assigned. Experience in a college setting and some
college coursework are required; B.A. preferred. Demonstrate proficiency
with Macintosh and Windows operating systems, networking, and software.
Working knowledge of one or more of the modern foreign languages taught at
Pomona College (Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish);
proficiency in such language preferred. Excellent interpersonal skills and
ability to work in collaborative environment. Excellent verbal communication
skills to collect and relate information with accuracy and diplomacy. The
ideal candidate seeks hands-on experience in the emerging field of language
technology as part of graduate studies in foreign languages or a closely
related field. Please download an application and include a cover letter,
resume, transcript of college coursework, and provide three professional
references with full contact information to: Pomona College, Attn: Human
Resources, 550 N. College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711 or email to:
[log in to unmask] Full consideration is given to applications received by
June 2, 2008.
http://flrc.pomona.edu; http://oldenborg.pomona.edu

This message has been scanned by Postini anti-virus software.

Language Learning Technology (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for
Language Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.