LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:40:04 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 10:33:31 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5296.10 Technology and Enhanced Student Learning (!)

------------------
I'm not sure whether Tommy is asking whether Ursula and I are "technology
or linguist people" or whether he's asking for names of others of these
ilks.  Tommy, we're both concerned with BOTH technology and language -- and
I think most people who subscribe to LLTI would be unhappy to have the two
designations separated.  I'm also interested in Second Language Acquisition
theory, though I know that that's not everybody's cup of tea.  Your best
sources for articles about the use of technology in language learning are
(1) journals that focus on precisely that -- the IALL Journal and the
CALICO Journal -- (2) language pedagogy and research journals such as the
Modern Language Journal, Foreign Language Annals, and the journals of the
AATs -- the American Association of Teachers of .. French, Spanish, German,
etc.  (THe French Review, Hispania, Unterrichtspraxis, respectively).  And
I know that there is plenty of information within TESOL about technology
use, but since I'm not in ESL I don't know the literature as well.

Feel free to write me off-line if I can be helpful --

        Best,
                Nina

At 10:42 AM 11/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Tommy B McDonell <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:37:55 -0500 (EST)
>>From: Tommy B McDonell <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>>Subject: Re: #5296.8 Technology and Enhanced Student Learning (!)
>
>------------------
>Ursula Williams and Nina Garrett, can you tell me if these are technology
>or linguist people so I can search out articles?
>
>I recently purchased a Tesol publication on technology but it has not only
>no new info but not really useable info.
>
>Can anyone tell me if I am allowed to put on this board research info that
>I need for a course at NYU or whether this isn't allowed? I don't want to
>get expelled from this board for doing anything wrong.
>
>Thanks. Tommy
>
>Tommy B. McDonell
>Executive Director and Co-Founder
>Learning English Adult Program, Inc., of NYC
>254 West 29th Street, 3rd Fl
>New York, NY 10001
>http://www.weleap4esl.org
>t:212/967-0149
>f:212/239-3934

Nina Garrett
Director of Language Study
Yale University
P.O. Box 208349
New Haven, CT 06520-8349

Tel.  (203) 432-8196
Fax. (203) 432-4485
http://www.yale.edu/cls/

Campus address: Room 308, 1 Hillhouse Avenue