LLTI Archives

July 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:03:29 -0400
(1) from Tony Beld <[log in to unmask]> ---

Using a Gong server and NanoGong you will be able create synchronous voice chats
and asynchronous voice boards. It is free and they have a Moodle module.

The Gong Project: http://gong.ust.hk/index.html

-Tony
---
Tony Beld, Ph.D.
Technology Director
Academic Consortium for Global Education
5524 Library Lane
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Tel: (719) 528-6135
Toll Free: (866) 300-1498
Fax: (719) 528-6154

(2) from [log in to unmask]

Hi Carol,
The good news is that there are materials out there that do this.  The
bad news is that it can invoke privacy issues (which need a plan to be
mitigated).  If you are interested with that aspect, I would be happy
to discuss what we are doing off-list.

We have had to go this route early because our system chose to change
LMS vendors before ensuring that our 3rd party applications (such as
Wimba) integrated and so we have been without these tools over the
summer.  As you said, we are unsure what the long-term implications of
the transition will be.  Blackboard has promised to continue to work
with other LMS's, but whether it will make the tools cost-prohibitive
is yet to be seen.

Here is my list of tools:

"Public" single voice recordings:  Vokis & Voicethread - the latter
does offer educational solutions which you may wish to look into.  The
free options do invoke the privacy issues I hinted at above and it is
always a guessing game as to when "free" web 2.0 applications will
only be pay-for-service options (such as what happened with Ning).
"Private" single voice recordings:  Audio Dropbox from CLEAR at
Michigan State University (http://ria.clear.msu.edu).  Also check out
their "Conversations" tool.

I am doing some testing with tools to replicate the voice chat
function and so if you are interested in that, please let me know as
well.  Not sure if Moodle may have another option built in though as
we are not a Moodle campus (much to my disappointment).

If you are planning to attend ACTFL at all, I am going to shamelessly
plug the IALLT@ACTFL presentation that my colleague Carolina Moctezuma
and I are preparing.  Vokis and Voicethreads are two of the tools that
she used in a wikispaces wiki with good success.

Regards,
Deanne

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo
Director, Language Resource Center
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

phone:  484-646-5865
email:   [log in to unmask]

(3) from  [log in to unmask]

Hi Carol,

After many false starts, we've settled on Nanogong integrated with
Moodle.  It's been working beautifully for us barring a few initial
installation glitches. Being open source it's very flexible and we've
tailored the applet recorder to our needs.  It's a derivative of the
Gong standalone voice board, which might also be something you could
look into (requires a tomkat server) if you need the functionality
outside of Moodle.

The beauty of Nanogong is that, in addition to a Nanogong activity board
proper, you can add it as an icon to your wysiwyg toolbar in Moodle,
enabling a voice recording option for virtually any Moodle activity
entry that uses the wysiwyg toolbar.
We use it extensively in forums, pages, and journals.

http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong/

cheers,
Ellen

(4) from [log in to unmask]

VoiceThread is a good voice discussion board, but I am not aware of any set of
tools as comprehensive and easy-to-use as Wimba Voice Tools.

On the other hand, Moodle, Sakai, Desire2Learn and other non-Blackboard schools
do not have to drop their Wimba licenses. Blackboard has made it abundantly
clear that Wimba and Elluminate products will continue to be supported and
integrated with the various LMS systems out there.  It's to their advantage to
continue to do so.

Besides, all/most collaboration, multimedia and LMS technology integration is
slowly but surely moving to standards-based implementations where it will
increasingly play together regardless of being commercial, open-source or a
combination thereof.

Ed Garay
Assistant Director for Academic Computing
Director, UIC Instructional Technology Lab
University of Illinois at Chicago
www.accc.uic.edu/Itl
www.twitter.com/garay

1940 West Taylor Street, Room BGRC 124
Chicago, Illinois 60612

[  Sent from iPad  ]

(5) from  [log in to unmask]

Among CLEAR's Rich Internet Applications tools are several online voice
recording options. They were not designed to replicate Wimba's tools, so they
are not necessarily a replacement for what you have been doing with Wimba, but
you might find some applicable utility there. The tools are free, and available
here: http://ria.clear.msu.edu/

Hope this helps.

(6) from [log in to unmask]

Hi Carol,

One of our instructional designers has been testing out a free plug in
called Nanogong with Moodle. We're currently Blackboard users and I
haven't looked into it closely myself, but it seems to work just fine.

I will be piloting Wimba Voice this fall and would love to talk to you
about how you've been using it after you come back from vacation!

Best,
Tina

(7)  from [log in to unmask]

Carol,
	My guess is that BB/Wimba will continue to offer a Moodle option (the market is
too big for them not to).
	But just in case you may want to check out U. Oregon's ANVILL
(anvill.uoregon.edu) for some of your speech needs. Its speech tools include a
voiceboard, quizzing, chat, and TCasting. All have a video option.
	It's Drupal-based, so your teachers would link to it (and create another user
account and password to manage their students' work). The quiz tool, though,
does have a "standalone" element to it.
	If you have good IT support, and only need audio, another project worth looking
at is the Gong Project in Hong Kong (http://gong.ust.hk). It comes with a Moodle
module.

	Regards, Jeff Magoto

(8) from [log in to unmask]

Hi Carol (and All),
I guess I feel compelled/obligated to chime-in here.  Just because
Blackboard bought us (Wimba), there's no reason to fear that our
integrations with Moodle and Sakai will go away.  Ray Henderson,
President of Blackboard Learn, has gone on the record several times (in
his blog, during his keynote last week at BbWorld 2010, etc.) saying
that Wimba's integrations with open source LMS's will continue and even
grow.  CCSF has been a long-time, loyal customer of Wimba, and I speak
on behalf of all of my colleagues here that we hope CCSF remains a part
of our family.

In fact, if it will make you feel better, you might want to read my two
most recent blog postings about this subject:
http://www.wimba.com/community/blog/archives/2010/07/

Sincerely,
Matt