LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:10:24 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:04:37 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: G4 Powerbook + publisher's software problem (TBob)
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
We are considering Deux Mondes, which has audio CDs, a good CD-ROM,
and a "Cahier d'exercices" (electronic workbook) on CD.  My problem
with this is that I cannot get the electronic workbook to do anything
but freeze my G4 Powerbook, running OS 9.1 and with an Internet
Explorer 5.1 (all seems to match specs).  I did register as directed
by the product, but I can get no farther than a click on an
individual exercise before all comes to a stop.  Please note that I
do go several levels before I freeze and have to execute an emergency
reboot. Actually, when the CD-ROM is inserted, it opens my Internet
Explorer 5.1.4 (4231) automatically, and if I close it to look for
the "startmac.htm"  file (as per direction on the package), all I
find is an "automac.htm" file.  My machine seems to labor
unnecessarily to open what is essentially an html file from the
desktop.

When I try the same software on 2 different vitages of G3 iMacs in
the lab, a 400 MHz running OS 9.0.4 and a 500 MHz running 9.2.2, it
all works great.  When I go to my colleague's office and his G4 tower
running OS 9.1 and the same IE browser, the software runs fine (so
much for platform and OS problems).  I have made further comparisons
between my G4 Powerbook and the tower G4 of my colleague using my
system profiler.  His Mac OS ROM is 7.9.1, while mine is a 7.5.1.
Also, though we both have PowerPC G4 processors, his machine speed is
"533 Mhz", while mine is "400 MHz (300-400 MHz)".

The software jacket says I can run this also with Netscape 6.0, so I
tried it with my 6.2 and it crashes the same way in the same place.
I am stumped.  Am I dealing with a speed problem or should I be
worried about an extension conflect? My little mind cannot seem to
wrap around it.

Any advice?  If I cannot run it on my machine, I cannot be of any
help to students...won't be able to incorporate activities into
tests, etc.

TBob
Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library
http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.org/french/globe.html