LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 16:12:24 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Steven Thorne <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:01:49 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Steven Thorne <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Call for Paper: Special issue of CALICO

Call for Papers

2005 Special Issue of the CALICO Journal

Topic: Computer-mediated Communication and Foreign Language Learning:
Context, Research and Practice

Co-Editors: Barbara Lafford (Arizona State), J. Scott Payne (Penn
State), and Steven L. Thorne (Penn State)

Description of the volume: This special issue examines uses of
computer-mediated communication (CMC) in foreign language teaching
and learning. We encourage the submission of articles relating to any
area of CMC-mediated foreign language educational practice. including
reports of original research, critical literature reviews, conceptual
pieces, and papers addressing assessment, cultural factors, and/or
the creation of new and productive forms of foreign language
education involving Internet communication tools.

Specific technologies of interest: We would like to include research
addressing a wide array of synchronous and asynchronous text and
audio CMC technologies, such as e-mail, a-synchronous discussion
tools, synchronous text chat, web-log (blog) technologies, instant
messenger, Internet telephony, voice chat, cell phones, Personal
Digital Assistants (PDAs), video chat, wikis, and/or additional
communication technologies. Papers describing technological
innovations and their use in foreign language contexts are also
encouraged.

Suggestions for possible papers: We encourage the submission of
methodologically diverse research (quantitative and/or qualitative
methods, linguistic analyses, experimental design, discourse or
conversation analysis, sociocultural theory, etc.) addressing, but
not limited to, any of the following areas:

1. Measurable increase in foreign language competency/performance
related to CMC activity
2. The development of pragmatic competence within CMC environments/interactions
3. Transfer from CMC to other modalities (e.g., speaking, formal writing)
4. Intercultural communication and CMC
5. Quasi-experimental or comparative research
6. Less commonly taught languages and CMC
7. Critical pedagogy and CMC
8. Discourse-based and/or qualitative CMC/FL research
9. The (new) role of instructors and students in CMC learning contexts
10. CMC-mediated project-based learning
11. Pedagogical research critically documenting CMC best practices

IMPORTANT DATES and DEADLINES:
July 15, 2004: Abstract submissions due (400 words maximum)
October 15, 2004: Full paper submissions due (approx. 6000-8000
words, excluding references)

Contact Information: Please send inquiries and suggestions for
contributions to all three co-editors: Bobbie Lafford
([log in to unmask]) , J. Scott Payne ([log in to unmask]) and Steve
Thorne ([log in to unmask]).

--
Steven L. Thorne
Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics