LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 15:25:32 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 06:56:52 -0700
>From: Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vocab site for Beginning Hebrew
>To: [log in to unmask]

Just wanted to alert LLTIers to a vocabulary site for beginning
Hebrew that we've developed here at UO to accompany U. Michigan's
introductory text,  Encounters in Modern Hebrew by Edna Amir Coffin.
It's located at:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~ylcflx/Aleph-Bet
        There's nothing fancy: the tutorials are designed for word
recognition and writing of the most basic and frequent Hebrew
vocabulary. Font issues are avoided by the use of graphics, but
that's certainly something that cries out for Unicode. Currently
there's no sound.
        As many of you are doing, we're looking for ways to maximize
learning opportunities in LCTLs. We're doing related projects in
Arabic, Portuguese, Korean, and Swahili and would love to hear what
others are doing. Best wishes.

--
Jeff Magoto                                     1236 University of Oregon
Director, Yamada Language Center                Eugene, OR 97403-1236