LLTI Archives

April 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:15:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Hideo Tomita" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Hideo Tomita" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Remote Desk on Windows XPs
>Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:25:13 -0400

Dear Academic IT Experts:

I know this question deviates a bit from the main topic of LLTI, but I am
sure many of you advise faculty members for their administrative use of
technology. I'd appreciate it if you could give any suggestions that may be
relevant to my question below.

<Question> Why can't I access my Windows XP in the office from my home
Windows XP?

<Situation>
(1) The office XP is ready to be accessed. I did access it using the IP
address from another XP in the same building.

(2) Possible Firewall: A friend of mine accessed my office XP (in fact he
reached the screen that prompted him to input user/password) from his home
XP, which was located off campus. So, firewire doesn't seem the issue here.

(3) When I try, I always get a timeout.

I've been doing this with Cisco's VPN.  I first connect the college network
wish the VPN.
Then, I try to access my office XP with the IP address. At this stage I
cannot ping the office XP. I know that the VPN is working for me because I
can access the college sites that otherwise I cannot. Apparently only one
channel is open when I use the VPN.  I think I read somewhere that VPN
breaks the table of Remote Desk, which is beyond my understanding.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hideo Tomita
Japanese/MLL