LLTI Archives

August 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:15:25 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Kirkpatrick, Trip" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Kirkpatrick, Trip" <[log in to unmask]>
>To:  Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
<[log in to unmask]>,        CALICO-L <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:47:46 -0400
>Subject: Yale Center for Language Study :: Position Available
>acceptlanguage: en-US

All:

Please forgive the cross-posting and length.

**************************

At the Center for Language Study (CLS) at Yale University, we're looking for an
upwardly mobile sysadmin and web developer to join the CLS's Technology and
Projects group to manage our servers and lab computers and to work on a wide
variety of language-related software projects. We're a very fluid organization,
and we value smart, creative, and disciplined people who are able and willing to
help out wherever necessary. The Sysadmin/Senior Programmer is responsible for
the management of CLS public workstations, staff workstations, and servers as
well as for the design, development, testing, installation, and maintenance of
CLS web and database applications.

Responsibilities
Oversee our servers, workstations, and data room, including HVAC monitoring.
Oversee and protect CLS data, including backups and database optimization. Plan,
design, supervise, and execute (as appropriate) database-driven web- and
desktop-based programming projects.  Meet with clients and other project staff
as needed to ensure successful project completion. Collaborate on technology
projects with other staff members. Train our staff and Yale language faculty in
use of selected technologies. Other system administration, programming, or user
support duties as assigned.

Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in a relevant area and three years of programming experience;
or an equivalent combination of education and experience.

Windows server and Windows workstation management experience. Mac workstation
management experience. Understanding of server and workstation security issues.
Object-oriented programming (OOP) experience. Experience with RDBMSes. Project
management knowledge. Knowledge of server-side scripting (e.g., ASP, PHP).
Experience learning a foreign language. Experience overseeing the work of
others.

Demonstrated maturity and systematic work habits crucial to professional system
administration. Excellent organizational skills. Strong English-language
communication, collaboration, and writing skills. Ability to work as part of a
team effort, which includes information sharing, a strong work ethic, and
creative thinking. Well developed analytical and problem solving skills.
Demonstrated ability to work well independently and with others in a rapidly
changing and demanding environment.

Preferred: Experience with software patterns, media streaming, multimedia
editing, Mac/Linux/Unix servers, AJAX/JSON and creating mashups, UI design,
imaging software and backup software and their processes, project management
software programs and utilities.

************************
To learn more about the Center for Language Study at Yale University, visit
http://www.cls.yale.edu.

Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply
online at http://yale.edu/jobs/ -- the requisition ID for this position is
7512BR.

Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly
encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority
groups.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Best,
Trip

--
Trip Kirkpatrick