LLTI Archives

June 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:54:09 EDT
Hello to all!
Each summer (and also sometimes over winter/spring breaks), we get requests
from language instructors for laptops they can borrow over an extended (e.g.
2- to 12-week) summer period, to enable them to do things like capture
authentic materials/media while they are traveling, or work on
instructional-tech projects while they're away from UCLA. To date, I've had
to turn them down each time, as we don't have such an option in place.

I'm interested in pitching a few ideas for establishing a loaner laptop
program, and would love to hear from those of you who have implemented such
a thing (including recommendations for or against). The issues I can imagine
having to resolve:
* how do you allocate a limited set of laptops to a larger set of those who
need them?
* how to you insure them for damage, esp. since they are often being taken
abroad?
* how do you handle software needs (esp. for pricey types of apps like
Dreamweaver or Photoshop)?
* how were you able to justify a loaner program to your decision makers?
* did you explore sponsorship/donation options with laptop vendors, and if
so, what did you give the vendors in exchange for the laptop(s)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has thoughts or experience on this.
Enjoy your summer!
Annelie

--
Annelie Chapman, Ph.D.