LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:54:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David L. Wohr" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:36:29 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "David L. Wohr" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5761.6 Legal issues regarding conversion of PAL video to NTSC (!)

------------------
Just one more opinion.

I have read a lot of rationalizations for violating copyright law in this
thread.

If nothing else, folks, just read the disclaimer at the beginning of almost
all videos.  ANY copying, duplication or transfer of the material on the
tape is a violation of the copyright without the express, written consent
of the owner thereof.

Those who have talked to the attorneys on this matter have gotten this
advise (at least from the lawyers who will put it on paper).

It doesn't matter if you archive the original, destroy it or throw it up
into the air and have it disappear after you have copied it, you have still
copied it without the permission of the copyright owner.

The really conservative attorneys will say that this holds true for
digitizing any video information you don't own to put it onto a server so
it can be streamed into a lab (even if you purchase a number of copies of
the tape equal to the total number of possible simultaneous users).

Until there is some case law in this area, nothing will be certain.  May I
have a show of hands from those who would like to be sued first. That is
the only way we are going to get case law and an interpretation of the
statutes. Does anybody recall what happened to NAPSTER just a few weeks ago?

Granted, I don't think that an educational institution will be sued for
what we are all doing, because there is no profit motive involved and the
number of individual items is small, even if you add all of us together,
but the positive defenses are shaky at best.

The powers that make the copyright laws are still working several years, if
not decades, behind the technology, and it will ever be thus. Until they
catch up, nobody can really be sure. As has been noted before, we are
working in a very grey area of the statutes for starters.

With all that said, what you do about it in a practical sense is between
you and your God.

David

  - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -
+ - + -
David L. Wohr                           [log in to unmask]
Director
Language Laboratory                     voice   610.660.1837
Saint Joseph's University               fax     610.660.2160
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA  19131-1395
- + -

Wem Gott will rechte Gunst erweisen,