LLTI Archives

August 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:42:33 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Greg Kessler <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Greg Kessler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7608 SSH on a Mac
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:03:23 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

I had similar problems trying to use fugu.

At Ohio University we use MacSFTP.

It has been very reliable for me for the past year or so.

Greg

On Aug 17, 2004, at 2:36 PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:45:30 -0500
>> Subject: SSH on a Mac
>> From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>
> As many of you know, I try to manage a number of web pages.  This is
> impossible to do from on campus where I work, because of teaching, lab
> supervision, and a lot of face to face work.
>
> I am forced to do all of my research, programming and file transfers
> from
> home.  I just got my faculty exchange computer, a very robust
> Powerbook,
> using OS 10.3.4.  I have two ways of working home-to-campus remote: I
> can
> connect over my wireless broadband through VPN or I can do a telephone
> wire
> modem connection.
>
> My campus is concerned with security, and while I know that using a
> classic
> FTP poses few big problems in either of the connections mentioned,
> things
> can change.  I would ideally like to use a secure shell client (SSH),
> with
> properly installed keys, etc.  This would allow some flexibility and
> more
> security.  After a relative failure using FUGU (I cannot even get this
> query for a password...and I could net intall keys), I wonder if there
> is
> something out there that might work with a Mac, and will not make my
> fragile
> humanities brain think it is struggling with shell level strings.
>
> TBob
>

> Robert D.Peckham, Ph.D
> Professor of French
> Vice President, American Association of Teachers of French
> Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
> Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
> Department of Modern Foreign Languages
> Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
> Email: [log in to unmask]

Greg Kessler
http://www.ohiou.edu/opie/people/Kessler.html

Graduate Oral Communication Coordinator