LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:54 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Steven Doellefeld <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Steven Doellefeld <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #7348 Video Production Light & Sound
>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:14:13 -0500

------------------
David-

I did sound support in the music industry for a few years before grad
school. One of the things that I learned is that when it comes to
microphones, there is a close correlation between quality and price - the
more you spend, the better it will sound.

Given that you are talking about $75 or so to buy a mic, I think you will be
woefully disappointed with the results of anything you will find.

You also need to consider the types of application you will use this for -
for close up work you can use a dynamic mic, which will have a richer sound,
but won't pick up distant voices. For further away (ie: the back of a
lecture center, most work outside) you would need a cardiod condenser mic
(often referred to as a "shotgun" mic).

When I was selecting mics for our multimedia studios, we went with the Shure
KSM57 - retail is around $550. It works ok, but there are still much better
products out there that went beyond my budget allocation (Neumann is
generally considered to be the top shelf brand). We played around with a few
less expensive models, and were not at all happy with the results.

The other thing to consider are the necessary accessories - you'll need a
shock mount, stand or table stand, a power source (which can range widely in
price), cabling, etc. You would also need to make or buy a custom cable to
go from XLR to 1/8inch jack. It can get pretty pricey when you need to buy
it all at once.

One option that might work for you would be to purchase a higher end model
used, from a local music store - I'd stay away from ebay for this type of
stuff - it's very sensitive to being dropped, abused, etc.

Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss this in greater detail.

Cheers,

Steven

Steven Doellefeld, Ph.D.
Assistant Director
Center for Excellence in Teaching & Learning
University at Albany
1400 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 12203

(518) 437-3915