LLTI Archives

October 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2010 23:25:23 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 09:49:50 +0300
>Subject: Re: #9476.14 Anyone using Tell Me More?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Dear All,

In theory a graphics display of pronunciation should prove useful, at least
for visual learners.  I believe that some research on this has been done
with hearing impaired L1 learners, but I am not aware of any research having
ever been done with normally hearing L2 learners.  It would make a good PhD
topic.

In my experience, reviewing TMM for the CALICO journal, I found it of
limited usefulness.  As Francoise points out, even a native speaker cannot
reliably recreate the graphics display. The link between our eyes and our
voice patterns is not automatic.  We can easily see where our pronunciation
differs from that of a model, but modifying our voice pattern to match is
another matter altogether. Voice graphs might have some pedagogical
usefulness with tone languages, but again I have not seen any research to
confirm this.  Perhaps some of the list members who teach these language
might have some experience to share on this topic.  Jack
--
Professor Jack Burston
Director