LLTI Archives

November 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 08:09:27 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 02:36:28 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6377 "Tell Me More" from Auralog

------------------
Just a quick brainstorm-response

We purchased Tellme More this year for german accelerated classes. It turns out
that the students loved the interface, they  clear voices, the interactivity of
the program, the possibility to practice their pronunciation .
The biggest problem was that at this point we only bought a limited amount of
licences  so students could only access the program in the Lab which made it
VERY complicated, annoying, frustrating and with a lot of tech glitches - to
the point that we gave it up mid-way through the semester.
The company representatives promised to have the program available on the web
by January - that will make a HUUGE difference since then steudents will be
able to access it anytime, from anywhere (especially their rooms).
It was very difficult to integrate the program into the curriculum. I tried
eveyrthing to disect the program in such a fashion that they kids could see
somehow a connection between a particular lesson and what we where otherwise
doing in classe - to no avail.Even the various grammar issues are sequenced in
such a way that it seems difficult to match  them with the ones one does in
class.
So I designed the course to have two parts: One was TELLMEMORE, the other was
my regular class schedule. They did like it a lot and would have gladly
continued at their own pace only using it for listening comprehension and
speaking purposes. As a matter of fact many students retained the most
astonishing phrases from their work with the program.  They also liked working
together, as a group, with the program, so in the future I wouldn't  hesitate
to schedule one hour per week in the LAb with a faculty member working on the
program. The contents at times is rather ridiculous and working in a group gave
them a chance to laugh about it, talk about it and talk about various cultural
issues . But in the end the technology issues got us and the whole class opted
to not do the program anymore.
As for the flexibility: You can do any unit at any time in any sequence you
please. As a teacher you can set it in such a fashion that you 'see' everything
your students are doing, when, how, how many times etc. and you can grade them
accordinlgy. Some exercises within a unit turned out to be completely useless
to us, others were better, but that obviously totally depends on the learner:
age, learner type, level, goals etc.
There are many 'little' things one can pleay with within this program.

If we want to talk more about this program, please don't hesitate to call me
(845 758 7443)
Stephanie Kufner
Bard College