LLTI Archives

January 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:10:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:36:31 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7752.1 Copyright: Can Instructors Record Their Audio to
AccompanyTextbooks/Workbooks?

?

> Why would instructors want to spend their valuable time rerecording something
> that already exists to the state of the art?

Actually, I know of one case where a professor got permission to record
the audio because the official audio was not available at the time. When
the latter did become available, instructors liked using both recordings
because the professor's tended to be slower and easier to understand for
beginners (though he is a native speaker).

This was done with the copyright owners' permission and in fact they
were willing to have us put BOTH sets of recordings online, though in
the end our local professor decided his was not "state of the art"
enough for publication.

I can also imagine that if an excessive amount is being charged for the
use of the published recordings, local instructors might want to make
their own versions which would be more readily available. However, it
would not be legal to perform or record the textbook dialogues without
permission. For things like vocabulary lists, it might be harder to
demonstrate copyright....
Perhaps the instructors could write their own dialogues to fit the
lesson, and perform that.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.