LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:24:10 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:03:07 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7430 Is there an archive of FL learning materials using older
tech.?

Dear Mike and all --

         I suspect that many universities have bits and pieces of older
technologies;  at the IALLT meeting last year a group of us old-timers met
to reminisce about them, and Read Gilgen set up (if I recall correctly) a
"virtual language technology museum".  I confess that I haven't followed up
on this.  At Yale we have a reel-to-reel player set up in our otherwise
entirely digital recording studio, because when the Center for Language
Study took over the old Language Lab we found some ten thousand reels of
tape.  We sent them to the appropriate language departments to sort out,
and of course most of them were the workbook exercises to editions 1,2,3,4,
and 5 of textbooks that went out of print in the 1970s -- but some of the
tapes were priceless readings by famous poets and lectures by towering
scholars.  These have been archived, and whenever anyone in the departments
asks for one we digitize it and make it available -- so we keep the
equipment running.

         Our library also includes my own collection of books on language
pedagogy (some dating back to my Master of Arts in Teaching program at Yale
in the early 1960s), second language acquisition theory, and CALL, plus
fairly complete sets of many of the relevant journals since the early
1980s.  I also have stashed away a lot of early NALLD journals  (if you
don't know what NALLD stands for, you're not an old-timer) and other IALL
archives.  The NALLD and IALL[T]  materials I'd be happy to pass along to
anyone who wants to be the central repository for them.  I think it would
be great if one of the NFLRCs set up a comprehensive archive.  But it would
probably also be a good idea for those 78 rpm records to get digitized just
so there's a contemporary way to access them!

         Best,
                 Nina

At 01:29 PM 3/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Cc: Channing Horner <[log in to unmask]>,        Rebecca Kline
> >From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Is there an archive of FL learning materials using older tech.?
> >Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:46:05 -0500
> >To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Libraries routinely archive all kinds of materials, even including
>textbooks.  For researchers interested in working on the pedagogical
>bases of their discipline, having this kind of archive is essential.
>Of course, language learning has involved technology in significant
>ways for much longer than most disciplines.  Is there an archive of
>foreign language learning materials that incorporate (older)
>technologies, along with the machines to access them?  If not, I wonder
>if one of the National Foreign Language Research Centers would be
>interested in taking this on as a project?  The reason I ask is one of
>my colleagues has some 78 records that would certainly be interesting
>for research at some point in the future and no where to donate them.
>
>Best to all, Mike Ledgerwood
>
>Director of the Language Learning and Research Center
>Tenured Professor of French and Technology and Education
>State University of New York at Stony Brook

Nina Garrett, Director
Center for Language Study
Yale University
P.O. Box 208349