LLTI Archives

February 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:22:23 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9067.3 (!) dual assignments: managing a lab and teaching
>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:38:14 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Tina, I think it is almost possible to say that there are as many
different kinds of center director positions as there are center
directors!  In my first position I was full-time faculty and wound up
being Language Center Director on top of that.  Frankly, not the best
of positions if you try to compare the work a center director should
do with others doing committee work, etc....In my second position I
was half-time center director and half-time faculty.  Still a tough
call at the research institution where I was but it would be much
better at a different kind of place.

The one point that is very important to reiterate here is that
whatever your position, you need to negotiate so that the job is
"doable".  Thus, if you are teaching for the first time, you will
need to negotiate to get extra staffing help so that what you were
doing before teaching isn't compromised by the new duties or that
your center doesn't suffer.

Administrators (in general) always wants to get more from less.  Yet
what they wind up getting is less from less.  Hard lesson to learn,
but....

That said, I certainly agree with David Pankratz that doing some
teaching is almost always a good thing for center directors (provided
again that they and their centers are compensated for this) for the
reasons David expressed so well.

Best, Mike Ledgerwood

Mikle D. Ledgerwood, Ph.D.
Chair of World Languages and Cultures