LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:32:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:30:16 -0300
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: URGENT: Macs and PCs on same network

We have a bit of money that will disappear
fast if we don't spend it right away.
   We are investigating the possibility of incorporating
IBM compatibles into our current all-Macintosh lab that
has 21 iMacs and 19 LC 630s linked on the same
network. We can afford up
to 8 machines and are wondering if we should try
incoroporating PC compatibles ( gradually replacing the LC630s).
  We would like to hear from people who have experience
with setting up a dual-platform network. What are some problems with
doing so? How easily are Macs and PCs
put together on the same server?
What would the added / hidden costs be of doing so?
   The support for PC compatibles is much higher on our
campus as it is for Macintosh. Students also seem to like
PCs over Macs. However, we wouldn't want to go dual-platform
if it means all kinds of technical problems. Please let us know
what sorts of problems we might expect.
   Thank you for any advice you can give.

    Karin
--