LLTI Archives

February 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:35:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:20:51 -0500
>Subject: Unicode input in Flash MX
>From: Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I have created a Flash MX movie that requires users to type Chinese
characters: http://distancelearning.llc.msu.edu/lcs/typeit1.html. No
complaints under OS 9 and OS X.

BTW, I've been working with making Flash movies with a lot of different
non-Roman languages, and have accumulated quite a bag of tricks <shameless
plug>many of which I will be sharing in my workshop at CALICO this year
</shameless plug>. It turns out that the Flash player is Unicode-compliant,
but Flash itself (the authoring environment) isn't. You have to employ
workarounds, such as changing the regional settings in Windows 2K, to get it
to work correctly.

As painful as this is, I think that Flash is still the best bet for working
with non-Roman languages on the web.

HTH

Dennie Hoopingarner
Director, Language Learning Center