LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:21:57 EDT
7  **************  from  [log in to unmask]

Hi all,
We've been running DeepFreeze, Enterprise version on the entire campus at
CSUMB, including the language labs, with Win2K and now with WinXP, on our
Sanako Lab300 installations. We usually deploy the image with Altiris and
have the Sanako Media Assistant Duo installer on the Admin desktop to
perform that configuration of the installation after deployment. It's been a
successful tool for 3+ years and has cut down considerably on the amount of
attention I have to give to supporting the lab--doesn't work? Just reboot!
And when upgrades to the Sanako products come out, we have a clean
installation to work from (I've moved from Tandberg v.3.x to v.4 to now
Sanako v. 6).
On the support side, the campus IT department manages the DF console with
one tech who usually works with me to develop loadsets and eventual changes
to the installations.
Feel free to contact me for follow up information,
Gus
Gus Leonard
Language Laboratory Coordinator
School for World Languages & Cultures .  Building 48-119 . California State
University, Monterey Bay . 100 Campus Center . Seaside, CA 93955 . Email:
[log in to unmask] . (831) 582-4446 .
http://LanguageLab.csumb.edu<http://languagelab.csumb.edu/>|
http://tinyurl.com/8ou73.
President, SouthWest Association for Language Learning Technology .
http://www.humanities.uci.edu/hirc/SWALLT/

8  ************** from  [log in to unmask]

Tom,

I'm not sure how wedded you are to Deep Freeze. I haven't used it, and
so I can't render a judgment.

However, one of our IT guys put me onto the (free) Windows Shared
Computer Toolkit, which I have used with success -- and I am not by any
stretch of the imagination expert in these matters. It allows you to
lock down the HD quite effectively. It also allows you to lock menu
options in IE and other Windows apps, among other things. You do have to
have SP2 installed, but it sounds like you have that.

Here's the link the download.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx

Hope this helps.

Bill