LLTI Archives

September 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:27:29 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:33:42 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7268 Italian subtitles

------------------
Your odds of finding Italian movies with Italian subtitles are better
on DVDs.  The DVD standard allows the creation/authoring of a movie
with subtitles in multiple languages.  I believe that subtitles for
up to 12 different languages can be encoded on a disc, although the
largest number that I have seen personally on a disc is 4.  The user
can select which subtitle track is displayed, or that none be
displayed.  This is much more flexible than VHS tapes.

In my experience, most European and Latin American DVDs have at least
two subtitle options- the spoken language for the movie, and English.
Often, one or more of the following also appear:  German, French,
Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian.

Derek

--On Friday, September 26, 2003 2:11 PM -0400 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Betty Woerner <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Betty Woerner <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> cc: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Italian subtitles
>
> Dear all--
>
> I have just been asked to find Italian movies, spoken in Italian
> with *Italian* subtitles.
> Does anyone know where to find such a beast?  I admit I'm stumped.
>
> Thanks,
> Betty Woerner
> Reed College

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]