LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 17:24:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

> ------------------
> We have a group on campus that has an online course
> in Ethnomusicology with
> a school in Spain.  They have been using Omnipage
> Pro to scan articles for
> the course into a digital format and post them on
> WebCT.  They could
> technically create PDF files but say that the
> download time is too long for
> the dial up connection of the students.

(...)

Hi Janel,

Let me propose an alternate solution, if you can't
make the OCR work the way you want.

After struggling with the problem with the size of
PDFs created using Acrobat, I did some research and
discovered that PDFs generated with Adobe Capture, a
separate product, are much smaller and less cumbersome
for the person on a lower-bandwidth connection.  It's
what our library uses for e-reserves, as do many
others.

The catch is that Capture is much more expensive than
Acrobat - around $700.  And our library pays a minimal
charge of several fractions of a cent per page
scanned.  I don't know if this is available on your
campus somewhere, or if you would be interested in
obtaining this for yourself (I'm currently evaluating
whether my group should purchase a copy), but you
might make up some of the cost in time saved on
editing, tweaking accents, etc, not to mention server
space.

Best,
Samantha

Samantha Earp, Director