LLTI Archives

July 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:36:40 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:52:28 -0500
>Subject: Re: #9193 Russian questions
>From: Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

I would suggest installing a virtual (i.e. software based) Russian keyboard
rather than buying a new physical keyboard or using stickers ... if only to
avoid swapping keyboards back and forth and dealing with the stickers on
your keyboard.  If you install a homophonic/phonetic keyboard ... which maps
the Russian letters to their Latin alphabet counterparts, it is easy to jump
right in and start typing.  If you have the MS Office proofing tools
installed, these keyboards will also automatically switch the language
setting, allowing you to proofread one document in multiple languages.

You can find a free keyboard and installation instructions for Windows
2000/XP and Vista at http://egarc.ku.edu/software/langsupport.shtml.  If you
are using a Mac, the keyboard comes standard with the OS as Russian -
Phonetic.  Feel free to contact me off list if you have any questions.

Jon

On 7/16/09 7:31 AM, "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from ILC <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:39:29 -0700
>> From: ILC <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Russian questions
>
> The faculty in my Russian department are interested in finding places to
> purchase Russian keyboards, or stickers to put on English language
> keyboards. Does anyone know of vendors online or better yet, stores that
> sell them directly in the states? We are interested in purchasing them
> ourselves but we also would like to better direct students when they ask
> themselves where to get Russian keyboards or stickers.
>
> Additionally, one of the faculty in my department told me she has had
> problems sending emails back and forth in Russian with Mozilla
> Thunderbird (our campus' main email client). Does anyone who types in
> Russian have problems with Mozilla Thunderbird? Does anyone have other
> suggestions for successfully emailing Russian?

Jonathan Perkins, Director
Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center
University of Kansas
4070 Wescoe Hall
1445 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence KS 66045-7590

Phone:  (785) 864-4782
Fax: (785) 864-1256

http://egarc.ku.edu <http://egarc.ku.edu/>
http://languages.ku.edu/

P Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary.