LLTI Archives

November 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:19:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Larry Davies <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:47:10 +0900
>Subject: Re: #6928.5m Using digital video with computers (!)
>From: Larry Davies <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi Kay and others,

This year my first year university students (2 separate classes of 21
non-English majors meeting once a week for 90 minutes in a
"Communication" class) completed two video projects. Here are brief
descriptions of both.

1. "Not a CD" Project - students were asked to make a 30-second
commercial selling a CD/ROM disc as an item that is used in a different
way. This is the third time I have tried this project. Among some ideas
they came up with, the CD/ROM was sold as: a bullet proof vest, a knife
for cutting fruit, a life preserver for stuffed animals and a body
building alternative to weights. All in all, they had a lot of fun
making the movies. They have to write scripts and storyboard the
project. I teach them just a little about iMovie. I'll continue to
refine this. They produce a lot of interesting and creative things.
Next year, I'll ask the next group to make a showcase website.
Unfortunately, I haven't done that yet.

2. "How to..." Project - we are making an informal self-access center
here. We want students to come and study English and use English in
this informal space, we call it the Connections Cafe (and have a
website, too, at http://funky.fun.ac.jp/c-cafe). Students were asked to
make 3 minute videos for future students, showing them different ways
in which this informal space might be used for English language study.
Again, they had to storyboard, write a script, make the video, and give
a 10-minute presentation about the process. This project took six weeks
to complete. Students are now constructing a website through
Connections Cafe online where the videos will be accessible. Look for
them sometime early next January, 2003.

All in all, I'm very excited about the productive potential of projects
like these, mainly because everything that is produced is really owned
by the students that make them.

Whatever hugs do for people, I'm sure telehugs can't. - Hubert Dreyfus
Larry Davies, Associate Professor, Future University - Hakodate ^^
116-2 Kameda Nakano-cho, Hakodate, Japan 041-8655  ;___;
TEL (W) +81-(0)138-34-6526 - http://www.fun.ac.jp/~davies/index.html o-0
icq:9137406 | aim:zenmzee | schmooze:godzilla | achieve:larry |
lineage:ngugi/skubwa/awbuks