LLTI Archives

September 2009, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:05:49 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Subject: Re: #9221 H1N1 flu preparations
>Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:49:32 -0400

We have hand sanitizers in the lab and are encouraging students to use
them as they come in (to help keep the equipment clean) and as they
leave (to reduce risk of infection if there is a contaminated
surface).  We are also keeping tissues available for students and
Clorox wipes for the keyboards, mice and headsets.  We are using the
Logitech Clear Chat headsets which have a hard plastic mic and vinyl
covered ear cushions so that they can easily be cleaned.  We are also
offering students the opportunity to buy their own headsets (with a
recommended list of headsets that we know work in our facility) if
they should so choose.

The other key thing is that we will be strictly enforcing the rules of
no food or drink at the computer.  It isn't just the risk of spilling
but the residue of food on finger tips which make keyboards a breeding
ground for bacteria and it is true that there is no real way to clean
a computer keyboard effectively.  We considered keyboard covers but
ruled them out in favor of encouraging good hygiene because of the
budget crunch.

Regards,
Deanne

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo