LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:29:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:43:48 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hindi position

------------------
Hi Otmar -- Could you post this for me?  Thanks -- Nina

Please send applications or questions to the address given below, not to
the list or to me (Nina Garrett).

HINDI LANGUAGE LECTOR position, three year term appointment.
South Asian Studies Council, Yale Center for International and Area Studies
Yale University, New Haven, CT, 06520 USA

The South Asian Studies Council of the Yale Center for International and
Area Studies, in cooperation with the Yale Center for Language Study and
the Department of Linguistics, announces an opening for a Lector in Hindi
Language beginning July 1, 2002.  Primary duties include teaching five
courses per year including beginning (2 courses) and intermediate (2
courses) in Hindi language with a focus on four learning-skill areas --
reading, writing, speaking and listening.  The fifth course will be in
advanced Hindi language, with a focus on modern literary, cultural and/or
social topics as appropriate to the appointee's qualifications and
expertise.  The lector also will participate in program building of South
Asian Studies at Yale and especially in developing pedagogic materials and
the overall SAS language curriculum.  Applicants should have experience in
teaching Hindi as a second language in a college or university environment
and an M.A. or other advanced degree in a relevant discipline. Experience
with computer-aided language learning methods and in software development
is desirable.  We prefer a candidate with native or near-native fluency in
Hindi, strong English skills, demonstrated ability and enthusiasm for
in-class language instruction, together with expertise in second-language
acquisition. We also prefer candidates who have command of more than one
South Asian language.  Lectors are normally appointed for three years with
annual renewal based on mid-year performance review.   Salary commensurate
with experience and background.   Review of applications will begin on
March 1, 2001 and continue until search is completed.  Send letter of
application, curriculum vita and three letters of recommendation to Nancy
Ruther, Associate Director, YCIAS, P.O. Box 208206, New Haven CT  06520,
U.S.A.   Submissions by email will be accepted.  Send them to the SAS
Council Administrator, Mrs. Papacoda  <[log in to unmask]>   AA/EOE;
applications from women and minorities are encouraged.

Nina Garrett, Director
Center for Language Study
Yale University
P.O. Box 208349