LLTI Archives

October 2000, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:14:23 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Norval Bard" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:36:47 -0500
>From: "Norval Bard" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Network training

Hi,

Since the installation of the LAN in our LRC a couple of years ago, I
've noticed that more and more of my time is given to configuring and
maintaining the network, without the benefit of any training (or,
frankly, much knowledge about it).  This pulls me away from the more
productive, creative side of developing projects for our teachers,
courses, and students, and is creating more frustration for me.

We have a robust server and up-to-date networking software (mostly
Macintosh), but I'm sure I not maximizing our use of it.

What have been the most useful ways other lab directors have found to
become more knowledgeable and efficient in handling networking systems
and problems:  formal training, manuals, on-line lists/groups,
hard-knocks (ugghh), or other?

Thanks,

Norval Bard

--