LLTI Archives

June 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:35:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Patricia Early" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:08:22 -0400
>From: "Patricia Early" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7143.7 BYU Placement Tests (!)

------------------
Hi Leslie,

We've just started implementing the tests here at Georgia State, and we've been able to import the scores by using the WebCape Log on the entrance page.  We copy the information and paste it to a Word file and save it as a .txt document.

Then, in Access, you choose "Get External Data" from the files menu and follow the instructions for importing a text document as a comma delimited table.  It's not too complicated.  We started by using Access, and then found we could do the same thing, plus make graphs and charts, by using Excel, and people in the department were more comfortable using Excel than Access.  In Excel, it's basically the same process except that you go to "Data", then "Get External Data" and choose "Import text file" and follow the instructions.  Once you've got your information in your table, you can resort on any column you want to.  You can also import this data to Word and Access files easily if you need them in that format.

The only drawback to this system is that through the WebLog feature you don't get the results of your survey questions.  I haven't found a good answer for sorting the survey data yet.  But you do get date of the test, test id, student name, student id and score.  So far, we've found this is all we need to get started.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to write to me.

Trish Early
Language Lab Coordinator
Georgia State University

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/02/03 02:40PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]> ---

Hi, everyone!

Maybe I've missed the answer to this question, but I haven't seen any discussion of importing these results
into a data base.  Has anyone been able to import the CAPE test results into Access?  We've set up a data
base so that we can make comparisons from group to group, year to year, by class each year, etc.  Typing the
data in each time is extremely tedious.

Leslie Graul