LLTI Archives

May 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 16:33:52 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Laura Atkinson <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:15:51 -0400
>From: Laura Atkinson <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Large scale network storage

Hi all,

I am looking for information from any campuses where students, faculty and
staff are provided with large amounts of secure network storage (NOT just
web server space), on the order of 25 GB or more per user. I would like a
brief description of how the system works - for example, does every campus
user get this much network storage or is there a separate application
process, how much space is allotted per user, how well does the system
work, does it tend to be used for legitimate purposes or illegitimate
(serving out copyrighted music or movies, for example), which organization
on campus provides and supports the service, etc.

Virtually all colleges and universities provide some network storage space
to all campus users, but usually it is limited to a few hundred megabytes
or so. I'm looking for places that have found a way to offer much more
space than this.

Please reply to me off list at [log in to unmask] You don't even have
to take the time to describe it too much; if you know this service is
available to students AND faculty/staff at your school, just drop me a line
to say so and I can dig around on your school's website to find more
information.

Thanks in advance,

Laura Atkinson
Technical Coordinator for Foreign Language Computing
Duke University

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.