LLTI Archives

January 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:12:32 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:58:23 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re:  #6982 LRC Recognition

Dear Scott Sheridan,

As I count to ten, slowly, I am thinking of the
many ways to respond to your message about getting
recognition for the LRC support of the linguistics
research project...

The most civil responses fall under the heading:
if this isn't service you ain't seen no service yet

Does your LRC mandate include providing support for
such projects? If it falls outside the scope of your
normal service, you could inform the PI that the
LRC can no longer support such activities at no
cost; obviously there are many costs involved.

Whenever we do work in support of grant-funded
projects, we include charges for our services,
even when we do not seek actual compensation.

If the research is sponsored, it would be a useful
step to prepare an itemized bill for the services
which are being provided. Send a nice cover note
saying that you are happy to continue providing
services at no direct charge but that henceforth
you will be sending an itemized bill for the cost
of services you are providing at no charge, for
purposes of accurate reporting of what the
University is underwriting in terms of service.
Send a copy to the Dean or head of Grants or
Development Office.

good luck,
Rodney Dangerfield

PS
If your researcher won't acknowledge your contributions
to the work because s/he thinks this is not done, you
might suggest a review of the literature. I plucked just
one volume from my bookshelf, FLEAT III Proceedings of
the Third Conference on Foreign Language and Technology,
which has articles relating to linguistic research done
in language laboratories inthe US, Canada, Hong Kong,
UK and Japan, many carrying acknowledgements to
labs and lab staff.