FMPRO-L Archives

July 2010, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:18:01 +0100
Pedro

I don't really know what a symbolic link is, but I guess it's some kind of shortcut.

That would simply point from the dropbox folder on your work computer to the folder where the actual database file is, right?

You still have a copy of the database file at wherever the symbolic link points to. Then you also have a copy of the file on the dropbox server. And probably you have a copy on your second computer.

I don't know much about dropbox, but I'm reasonably certain it does not provide for one computer opening a file that resides on another. It copies the files (seamlessly) across the internet. And in any situation where you get multiple copies of files, particularly database files, you have to be VERY careful about which one you use to enter and view data.

I'm guessing this is the root of your problem.

Steve