FMPRO-L Archives

October 2012, Week 3

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 09:09:38 +0100
On 15 Oct 2012, at 12:55, Jay Erlebacher wrote:

> Your advice seems very practical and do-able. Steve.

Jay

Since no-one has suggested other ways of doing what you want, I'll add a couple of thoughts I've had:

– Conversion may not be completely straightforward; it's quite a big jump from FMP6 to FMP12 and quite a lot of functions have changed in small ways.

– If you decide to purchase a copy of FMP12 in order to complete this task, you may still want to store images of your reports in a container field BEFORE any conversion to FMP12. This will ensure that the report is preserved exactly as seen in FMP6. (Or perhaps you could take this as a fallback process in case you do see issues when/after converting the full database.)

– If you take this approach, I'd suggest first exporting only the data you need for the image export (ie the new image container and the patient ID or whatever) to a new FMP6 file. This will be a simple, uncluttered FMP6 file containing only these fields (and no scripts, etc). Then you can convert this file to FMP12, where you would prepare the export of images with suitable filenames. Your main import of ordinary alphanumeric data to the new system would be directly from FMP6.

– Make sure you keep secure backups of your data before doing any of this. And also keep copies of the file(s) along the way, so you can always go back a step without having to do everything again!

Steve