FMPRO-L Archives

March 2011, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:43:56 -0500
Hi all,

we are still in the drawing phase and have doubts about in which direction
to go.

We have two tables, say tableA and tableB, both with data and the use of
keywords in records. The keywords are in several fields. the field names are
the same in both tables.
Example of fields: color, height, width, depth, form, shape, age,

At a given moment we need to 'compare' keywords from tableA with keywords
from tableB, where the final goal is to find 'matching' records.

The result should be in levels.
When 2 values are the same: can be match (with list of records)
Between 3 and 5 values: possible match (with list of records)
More than 5 values: more than possible (with list of records)

I was thinking in the direction of custom functions to compare two lists,
one in A and one in B, but don't know what to do to show a list of possible
matching records. Portal, table with records in list view.....and showing
that as popup window....

Or do way have to loop through records, compare and flag them....

Suggestions, ideas, hints, advice, everything is more than welcome right now...

TIA