FMPRO-L Archives

September 2010, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:21:29 +0100
Hi Jef

Comments inline below...

> hi steve, thanks.
>
> the project is an annual competition for young composers.  i receive an MS Word doc containing individual scores and comments from each jury member for all submissions.  i convert the table to text, drop in excel and import to JURIES from the excel file.  the unique value in this case is an individual score+comment by a juror for a specific piece.
>
> i need to be able to provide all jury comments (anonymously) to the composer.
>
> if we have a 20-member jury and 75 submissions, my layout (with the sub-summaries layout part) is such that all 20 comments (1 per juror) fit on one page, with the sliding/printing options set to remove all blank space.  therefore a total of 75 unique pages need to be printed (named "ComposerLastName_ProjectName2010.pdf) and emailed to 75 composers (participants).

OK. I see. But I wouldn't do it like that, as I think you already understand. To split up your subsummary report by page into 75 separate emails would not be straightforward.

So as I said, do it from AUDIO and set up the report without a subsummary – so it shows correctly when the found set is all the JURIES records for one AUDIO record. Then run the report from AUDIO by looping through the records; for each record find all the related JURIES records (I'd use 'go to related record [show only]' to do that) and make the pdf.

> the composers and jurors are ubique records in CONTACTS (mailing address, date of birth, bio, email etc.).  in the relationships, Jury Members and Composers tables are separate instances of the main CONTACTS database.
>
> so the structure within the database containing the comments was actually:
>
> JURIES___Jury Members table (CONTACTS)
>       \____ AUDIO___Composers table (CONTACTS)
>
> based on your comments, i started setting up the layout in AUDIO, and so far got most of it working, except for some reason the same juror's name appears for all 20 scores/comments...

The most common reason for that is the wrong context; it's probable that the juror's name field is coming from a different relationship from the one you've used for the layout...

> AUDIO___Composers table (CONTACTS)
>      \____ JURIES___Jury Members table (CONTACTS)
>
> cheers, almost there!!
> jef

Yes, sounds like you are almost there...

If you get stuck again, you might post the exact script you are using...

Steve