FMPRO-L Archives

May 2011, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"G. Pupita" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2011 09:22:37 +0200
Ciao Tami

> I need to have a script run every 15 minutes in FileMaker 6.  Any ideas on how to do it?
>
> The databases are hosted on a Windows server and the users (that need the script) are on Macs.  Other users (that don't need the script) are on PCs.
>
> Ideally users would click a button in FileMaker 6 that does an action then every 15 minutes afterwards they'd get a dialog message, until they clicked another button then set a field value that would then stop the message.

You're in for a robot :)
I've used the method quite extensively in FM6, and it worked very nicely: I used the iCal approach, that is you create an event that opens a FM file that in turn performs an opening script
It requires a dedicated machine, obviously, and if the robot performs more than one planned operation you need to make sure that the procedures do not overlap

In your case however the the script repeats quite frequently so you might use a looping script that
- performs the procedure
- writes the time it has performed it
- checks the actual time, and re-performs when 15 minutes have gone

a button might halt the loop and another would re-start it ...

Ciao
G. Pupita
Certified FileMaker 10 Developer
FileMaker Business Alliance