FMPRO-L Archives

October 2012, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Weinshel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2012 18:02:22 -0700
If I'm following, you haven't yet scanned or converted the images. Or, if
you have done so, they have not yet been entered into Filemaker. Is that
correct?

If they are not yet in Filemaker, then it might make more sense to move
them directly into the new software, since you will have to manually
associate them with the Patient ID either way.

If the new software is SQL based, you may be able to use the Execute SQL
script step (not the similarly named function in FMP12) to INSERT
Filemaker containers as BLOBS; I cannot recall if that was possible in
.fp5. Even if it were, it would require finding drivers that would work,
and it seems like a lot more work than moving the images directly into the
new system as you scan them.

In 12, you can store files directly in container fields, without needing
to scan or convert them, something worth considering if the decision to
use other software is not final.

John Weinshel
Datagrace
Vashon Island, WA
(206) 463-1634
Associate Member, Filemaker Business Alliance
Certified For Filemaker 12