FMPRO-L Archives

February 2011, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jeff Almquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:57:12 -0700
Rick,

I strongly advocate Mikhail's suggested technique, which is to "edit
this field's behavior and make it to use Return to go to next field",
over the others suggested. In other words, don't even give users the
opportunity to enter multiple lines into that field, or lead them to
believe it's an option. Field validations and auto-entries won't
trigger until after the user has spent possibly significant time
typing multiple values into the field. Unceremoniously denying them
after the fact might not be appreciated. Even worse, the user may not
realize the substitution has been made, moving ahead with their work
assuming the data has been stored. Think of the "use Return to go to
next field" option as a gentle wizard, guiding users through the data-
entry process.

Jeff