FMPRO-L Archives

August 2011, Week 5

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:19:17 -0600
Does anyone know a way to include a tab in a concatenated text
calculation?

I have several situations where it would be nice to have a field of
text that includes tabs so that the beginning letter of various parts
of the calculated field line up.  E.g.  I have a field that returns a
name and a birthday.  I would like the name and birthday values to be
separated by a tab instead of a set number of spaces so that I could
use the List function to give me an output that looks like:

Joe Smith        January 1
Sarah Johnson    January 20

instead of

Joe Smith        January 1
Sarah Johnson        January 20

I tried creating a calculation looking at length of the name and
returning a variable number of spaces which I then included in the
calculation--eg Name & Tabcalc & birthday, but that didn't work quite
right--maybe due to the different kerning for different letters (eg an
i perhaps uses less space than m)?

That leaves me out of ideas.  Maybe it isn't possible, but if it is, I
would like to know how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sue