FMPRO-L Archives

October 2010, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 18:25:06 -0600
I need to decide how I best to approach building a public website that
would include a shopping cart for sale of a relatively small number of
items (<100 to start) and am wondering if Filemaker is a good option
at this point.

All my previous website building ideas have ultimately fallen by the
wayside when I got mired down in trying to learn some new program,
figuring out what shopping cart system would be best to use, who to
host the files, etc. etc. and the next thing I knew, whatever web
program I was learning had become outdated and was no longer being
supported, or some such problem.  So I ended up getting discouraged
and just giving up. I am determined to make it through the whole
process this time, but I want to make the right decisions at the
outset in terms of how best to go about this.

I have seen various pinions about the options for building a website
using only Filemaker.  This approach appeals to me since I already
have Filemaker and am very comfortable with the program.  However, I
have used Filemaker's IWP to create an intranet that is accessed via a
web browser, and I have not been entirely thrilled with some of its
foibles.  WYSINOTWYG

Another alternative I am considering would be to purchase Dreamweaver
and learn how to use that.

Seeking opinions/suggestions from folks here who may have built
websites recently, using Filemaker, or other software.

What advice would you offer a novice website builder?

What would be the best and easiest way to (quickly?) learn how to set
up a nice quality website using Filemaker (or Dreamweaver, or other
software).  Is there a website, or an up-to-date online course, or a
recent book or CD that would really take me through the (entire)
process, step by step?

(I do want to do this project myself--I'm not interested in hiring
somebody else to do the work for me.)

I figure folks here are the most likely to know if using Filemaker for
this purpose is a wise option, or not.  (I am using Filemaker 10
advanced right now, but am willing to upgrade to 11.)

Thanks in advance for suggestions and opinions.

Sue