FMPRO-L Archives

November 2010, Week 3

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
David Thorp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:11:40 +1100
Dear fellow FileMaker listers...

I'm not aware of any rules with this list that make an email like the following inappropriate, but I know sometimes such things exist.  If that's the case here, I apologise.  But if it's ok, hopefully someone(s) here can help me... and I them...

To cut to the chase... I'm a FileMaker developer with just on 20 years experience.  I've been active in the FileMaker community in various forms for most of that time and so many of you know me, or at least of me.  Of course many of you won't.  In short, I'm looking for work, albeit with some caveats...

As far as my skills go, I (and others who know me) consider me exceptional at all things specifically FileMaker.  I'm particularly good at design, problem solving and building clean professional functional and user friendly interfaces.  I've fully embraced all the modern features of FileMaker (custom functions, custom formatting, local/global script variables, custom menus, web viewers, script triggers, etc).  I practice and promote advanced development methodologies such as the data-separation model and anchor-buoy relationship mapping.  I understand and implement normalised data modelling and I write clean well structured code.

The down side is, I have little experience in many of the extra technologies (eg. PHP, SQL, etc) that most of the FileMaker related work out there seems to increasingly require.  This appears to be seriously limiting my options.

That said, I'm not really looking to further a long term career in FileMaker development, because I have set in place a process that will steer me off in a completely different direction in 6-12 months.  However I'm looking for something(s) in the meantime.

As a result of these perhaps unusual circumstances I'm happy to work relatively inexpensively.  And that's the upside for you.  But I'd prefer to work on some kind of consistent retainer, as opposed to an hourly rate with work coming and going inconsistently.  I'm just looking for something(s) that matches my particular skill set (described above), and that will give me a comfortable but consistent income for 6-12 months till my other plan kicks in.

One other caveat:  For reasons I won't publicise here, I'm really only able to work remotely (from my home office) and that's another thing that's limiting my options.  Unfortunately working in your office is not really an option for me.  However, I have Skype, iChat, phone, fax, a fast internet connection and a Core i7 MacBook Pro at my disposal, and I've had plenty of successful experience (and good references from) working remotely, in the past.

If you're reading this, and you think we might be able to help each other then I would very much like to hear from you.  Please contact me OFF-LIST at <[log in to unmask]>.  When replying, please DO NOT send your reply to the list!

Sincerely,

David Thorp
All About Abundance Pty Ltd
Sydney / Brisbane.  Australia.