FMPRO-L Archives

May 2010, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 10:33:36 -0400
I have a FileMaker database linked to an external MySQL data file
using the ESS technique. Several text fields in my FM database
contain European names with accented characters. When I run a script
to update the related MySQL columns with text that happens to contain
accented characters, I get an error like this:

ODBC Error: [Actual][MySQL] Incorrect string value: ‘\xE9 Sud …’ for
column ‘title’ at row 1

As far as I know, the MySQL data columns are set to the default
character set latin1_swedish_ci which supports accents.

This is the first time I have ever used an external SQL data source,
so I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this error. Is it in
the setup of the MySQL file? Or is it on the FileMaker side? Any
pointers much appreciated.

The MySQL file is hosted remotely, and I don't have physical access
to that server. Otherwise, my FM file is hosted on Mac OS 10.4 Server
running FMS 10. Clients are a mix of Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard
running FMP 10.

Andre