FMPRO-L Archives

September 2010, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Weinshel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:21:27 -0700
Hi Lee,

The only reason not to do it is money. In all other aspects, it is a bad
idea to host a file peer-to-peer as you are doing, and even worse to
continue to use the host machine as a client.

The primary reasons are security and performance, where 'security' doesn't
so much mean protection against malevolence as it does protection against
corruption. If a peer-to-peer client crashes for whatever reason, it stands
a good chance of adding some corruption-- ranging from mild,
not-immediately-detectable, to hosing the file so badly it cannot be
recovered-- to the file; a crash on a client to a server-hosted file stands
a dramatically improved chance of causing no damage. Backups are automated,
however often you like. The modern versions (you don't say what Filemaker
version you're using) can easily be set up to email the appropriate people
when there are problems.

Performance is generally better. Server side scripts can be set up to run at
off hours. The server can be administered remotely, and run headlessly. OS
level scripts can be run, and/or mixed sequentially with Filemaker scripts
(managing imports or exports, for example, and managing the input/output).

Running a a few clients P2P is tempting and hardly unusual, but it's asking
for trouble wherever the data (or the database itself) matter. Never having
had a bad crash up to now is no guarantee that you won't have one tomorrow.

But bear in mind that even a cheap server-class machine is likely to be
pricey, and you will also need to acquire the server software. Don't know
the Oz price of Filemaker Server, but I don't imagine it's free.

John Weinshel
Datagrace
Vashon Island, WA
(206) 463-1634
Associate Member, Filemaker Business Alliance
Certified For Filemaker 11