FMPRO-L Archives

May 2013, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 23:44:07 +0100
On 9 May 2013, at 17:11, Nicholas Geti wrote:

> I think you grasp what I am trying to do but to reiterate, I want to be able to browse all the records in the file using Previous and Next buttons. As I land on each record I want to show the entire contents in the window. In addition I want to issue a Find on all the records and have it loaded into the window. Then be able to go back to the Previous and Next buttons and move through all of the records as before. What happens is that the Find command throws away the Browse all records action and I don't know how to Show all records again with the last "found" record that was worked on showing in the window.

Nicholas

The purpose of a find is to deliver a set of records matching certain criteria. The result is displayed as (in Filemaker parlance) a found set. It sounds to me as if you are really wanting a 'Go To Record" function, not a find, because you want to preserve the found set.

Assuming that you are always working with all records, you can fake what you want. In your find script, add a Find All Records step after the find. Then the found record will remain as the current record, but the found set will be all records.

This is going to mess up if the find returns more than one record. So for it to be reliable you need to make sure that the find only ever returns one record.

HTH

Steve