FMPRO-L Archives

January 2011, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:47:48 -0500
Hey Trixi,

You're right that it may not seem like a pile of upgrades when you consider that it has taken place over six years, but each one of those upgrades has made my life much easier, and my development much quicker.

FileMaker seems to follow the same upgrade philosophy of its parent company. Lots of little upgrades -- making sure each feature is as bug-free as possible -- instead of throwing a pile of new features at us that haven't been tested as thoroughly. First, they create a new feature, making it as airtight as possible; then they expand on it to make it cooler. I'd love to see more, but am happy that I can trust each new upgrade to be relatively bug-free.

I've seen and created some sophisticated interfaces in FileMaker, and how do you define "programming"? FileMaker may not have a generally accepted programming language, but its point-and-click scripting tool is very powerful; it can really do almost anything you need done in FileMaker, and can even interact with some other programs.

FileMaker is trying to be both: a professional development tool, and a beginner custom database. We may find it frustrating at times, but it's a good solid tool.

Of course, there's always room for improvement and new features. That's why I'm looking forward to FileMaker 12.

Paul

--
Paul Spafford
FileMaker Database Superhero,