FMPRO-L Archives

May 2011, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 11:55:51 -0600
I am trying to massage some data for import from one software program
to another.

I have information from a starting file that has some words entered in
title case, some words typed in all caps, some words entered in plain
text.

I need to end up with this same information in all title case with the
vast majority of words in abbreviated forms.

I have set up scripts that use the calculation Substitute(WORD Field;
selected wd; abbrev wd) to find words and replace with the desired
abbreviations.  I know this is case sensitive so my script doesn't
work when the WORD is typed in all caps, but the selected word value
is in title case or plain text.  I can go back and repeat the script
with the word typed in all caps to get the abbreviation right, but
there has got to be an easier way.

I would like to somehow change all the information in the WORD field
to title case format, but have found that replacing the values using

TextStyleRemove

and

TextStyleAdd

to get the format I want doesn't actually work.

I also tried exporting, reformating, the reimporting.  No luck.

The text looks like what I want, but then when I try my Substitute
script--the substitute doesn't work for the originally uppercase
words.  And when I export the data, even with apply current Filemaker
format to data checked, the Word Field comes out with the words in the
same style as they originally entered the file.

Can anyone suggest a way to quickly solve this problem?

Thanks!

Sue