FMPRO-L Archives

May 2010, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoff Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2010 17:28:40 -0400
Yes, be they calcs or stored data, you need indexes. One last thought: I mentioned a looping script and I'd like to take that back. I think it will be a long time until i get FileMaker 6 out of my head.

Better would be a script trigger (on commit or field exit, whatever works best for you) on a base data entry field. It fires and populates the proper value into that second level. You have already done the calc; just copy it from that second level field definition and adapt it to push that calced value into the stored data field that takes it's place at level 2. I would change one at a time, and see how much speed each one buys me. As Steve said, the work has to be done somewhere; if you can move it to tiny increments as you enter the data rather than all  at once as you read it - bonus.

If this works you wouldn't have to change the way you work with it or worry about data not populating up your tree.

good luck,
Geoff