FMPRO-L Archives

November 2011, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tim Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:59:59 +1100
On 10 November 2011 21:47, Aki Armann Jonsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It would also be nice to be able to save the PDF's in a designated folder on
> the MacMini.

I hope this is not a silly question...

If you're going to save the PDFs into a FileMaker container field then
why would you bother also saving them on the file system? I wonder if
choosing between one of those methods might be better?

In my experience, while it's convenient to have stuff stored in
container fields, over time it means your database can get big and
cause headaches for backups (another suggestion is to give serious
consideration to having the container field in a separate FileMaker
file).

Saving to your Mac mini server can be done by exporting the container
field contents to the mounted volume; you can make sure the volume is
mounted first quite easily via an AppleScript.

Kind regards,
Tim.

--
Tim Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Neologica Print & Promotions ABN 63 904 335 408