FMPRO-L Archives

December 2013, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jonathan Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:29:24 -0500
Dan,

Big difference.

FileMaker is more resource intensive and costs more just for the software. If you got a whole VM and put your own FMS install on it, you might get away with relatively cheap hosting, but you would still be on the hook for the whole cost of FMS, which with previous versions could be shared between a few or many of the hosting company's clients.

What Corn and John and Beverly are saying is that that ship has sailed.

"The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present." -A. Lincoln (Wow, was he ever prescient!)

Hosting a website is not the same, especially with 13. This is more like hosting desktop applications with terminal services or Citrix. That is what you should be comparing it with. Both in functionality and cost.

j.

--
Jonathan Fletcher
FileMaker 9/10/11/12 Certified Developer

Fletcher Data Consulting
http://www.fletcherdata.com
502-509-7137

New Podcast on the Block:
FileMaker Talk - Business Edition: filemakertalk.com

Kentuckiana's FileMaker Developers Group
Next meeting: Wednesday, December 18th, noon to 3:30-ish
http://www.kyfmp.com