CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
DOC Winter Sports <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DOC Winter Sports <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:14:45 -0500
...to go on the Winter Sports Club spring break trip to Quebec and Mt. Katahdin!
We have a spot open at the last minute. The trip is all organized for you -- you
need only show up. Details below.

---------------

***QUÉBEC-KATAHDIN SPRING BREAK 2012***

Two trips in one! The trip will start with a 5-day hut-to-hut ski trip in the

Gaspé Peninsula of Quebec. The route is a loop in the Chic Choc mountains --

beautiful terrain with plentiful above-treeline areas and more importantly, lots

of snow! Backcountry touring at its best -- with the highlight being a day to

explore Mt. Logan (the eastern version) in the middle of our circuit.

After that we'll get a day of rest and drive down to Baxter State Park in Maine.

After skiing in to the base of Katahdin, we'll hang out for three days in lean-tos

and take advantage of what Katahdin has to offer -- some of the best backcountry

skiing and winter hiking and climbing in the east!

Other perks include. . .
*Attempting to communicate in French
*Eating poutine
*Seeing Maine's Swedish colony

A note on skiing experience:

Both locations have ample terrain to accommodate a range of skiing ability and
experience. Some prior experience on skis of some sort -- whether cross-country
or alpine -- is helpful, but you don't have to be an expert to have fun in the
snow!

-------------------

We are leaving the evening of March 13 (Tuesday), back March 25.

The cost is $300, which is extremely competitive -- you get 5 days of (fairly
luxurious) hut-to-hut backcountry skiing in Quebec AND a trip to Katahdin, arguably
the most impressive mountain in the east --  with all transport, food, and lodging
included.

Like powder? Bummed about our lackluster winter? Quebec got a meter and half of
snow last weekend, on top of the couple of meters they already had.

Blitz back if interested, or with questions. You don't really want to go home
for spring break and watch TV all day, do you?

~The Winter Sports Club