CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Collis Miniversity <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Collis Miniversity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 01:03:26 -0500
MINIVERSITY CLASSES WINTER 2011*

*Time schedules and prices subject to change before registration.

REGISTRATION:
Jan. 6 (Thursday) 8am-4pm
Jan. 7 (Friday) 12pm-4pm
in Collis Lobby.
Please have cash, Dash, or check (payable to Dartmouth College) at registration.

Classes start the week of Monday, January 17th.

Please monitor the Miniversity Blitz Bulletin for updated information or contact [log in to unmask] with questions.

LANGUAGE CLASSES

* AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE
Wednesdays 3:30-4:30, Collis 218
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: Renee Scott
Limit: 12 students
Students will learn the basics of American Sign Language (alphabet, elementary words and phrases, sentence structure). The course aims to have every student conversationally functional by the end of the course.
* KOREAN LANGUAGE
Tuesdays 5-6pm, Collis 218
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: Ellian Choi
Limit: 14 students
This class is a Korean Language course for the students with no previous experience in the language. The course will focus mainly on basic conversational skills, and also briefly touch on the basics of writing and grammar structure. We will talk about greetings and introductions, describing, preferences, the alphabet, direction, and purchasing.

COOKING, BAKING, & DRINKING CLASSES

* COOKING WITH WHOLE FOODS
Wednesdays 5:30-7:30, in Casque & Gauntlet (the house on the corner of Main St., next to Dirt Cowboy)
Instructor: Cristina Pellegrini
6 sessions, $70 per person
Limit: 10 people
Learn how to cook delicious, healthy, nourishing meals with ingredients that are as close to their natural state as possible and have not been heavily processed or refined. We will cook with a variety of whole foods including vegetables, beans, legumes, nuts & seeds, and grains. Get ready to make things from scratch like pesto, hummus, and vegetable stock and experiment with new foods like quinoa and millet!

* VEGETARIAN AND VEGAN COOKING
Mondays 4:30-6:30pm, Brace Commons Kitchen in East Wheelock
Instructor: Aurora Coon ([log in to unmask])
6 sessions, $70 per person
Limit: 8 students
In this course, you'll learn how to make delicious, quick, nutritious, inexpensive vegetarian and vegan meals (desserts too!).  The food you'll make will be yummy and filling enough to convince anyone to eat vegetarian or vegan. You'll develop a good understanding of how to get the protein and iron you need from vegetarian and vegan whole foods (we won't use processed meat substitutes). We'll also discuss what staple foods you'll always want to have around in a vegetarian kitchen, how to adapt favorite/classic recipes to make them vegetarian or vegan, and how to adjust recipes to fit the ingredients you have available. The course will be customized to participants' tastes and dietary preferences. You'll leave each class full of good food (we'll eat what we make of course!) and great ideas!

* CAJUN & SOUTHERN FOOD COOKIN'
Thursdays 7-9pm, Brace Commons Kitchen (East Wheelock)
7 sessions, $80 per person
Instructor: Sanders Davis
Limit: 8 people
Bienvenue! The purpose of this class is to familiarize students with the bold and comforting flavors of Cajun and Southern cuisine. Students will learn to prepare popular Cajun dishes such as Etouffee, Sauce Piquante, and Fricassee as well as popular Southern dishes such as Chicken and Dumplings and Red Beans and Rice. These unique dishes as well as others will be taught in a way to not only expand one's cooking abilities, but also to expand the influence of the depth of flavor and seasoning techniques that Cajun and Southern cuisine is so well known to provide. The course will start off with simple dishes and a lesson on how to make a "roux"- the rich and flavorful base of all Cajun cooking. Then move on to more complicated menus where both Cajun and Southern entrees and side items will be taught. The course will end with a lesson on how to make the most traditional and well known Cajun dish- Gumbo.

* ASIAN COOKING
Wednesdays 5-6:30pm, Brace Commons Kitchen (East Wheelock)
6 sessions, $70 per person
Instructor: Ellian Choi (Moon Young Choi)
Limit: 10 people
In this course, you'll learn how to cook various Asian foods. We will cover Dong-gu-rang-teng (Korean), Sweet and Sour Pork (Chinese), Jab-Chae (Korean), Stir-Fried Udon (Japanese), Dak-bok-um-tang (Korean), and Inari-sushi (Japanese). You'll work with one other student as a team, but feel free to sign up alone. If you have certain food restrictions (beef, pork, etc), please contact the instructor before you sign up.

* EASY BAKING FROM SCRATCH
Tuesdays 4-5:30pm, Brace Commons Kitchen (East Wheelock)
5 sessions, $45 per person
Instructor: Katie Paxton
Limit: 8 students
Don't be scared by desserts! Learn how easy baking can be!  Learn how to make baklava, chocolate chip toffee bars, lemon bars, cheesecake and cinnamon rolls all from scratch! Recipes will use easy ingredients you can find at the coop, with step by step instruction on how to prepare with little to no angst.

* CUPCAKE-BAKING 101 - "LET THEM EAT CAKE!"
Mondays 7:45-9pm, Brace Commons Kitchen (East Wheelock)
6 sessions, $55 per person
Instructor: Julia Sooy
Limit: 8 students
An introduction to cupcake baking. From classic basics, to decorated masterpieces, we'll make a different type each class (possibilities include caramel, German chocolate, red velvet, carrot, lemon, coconut, pumpkin spice, and angel food cake). The cupcake is the current "it" treat, so ace this class and enjoy your just desserts!

* INTRO TO BEER TASTING
TBA
6 sessions, $75 per person
Instructors: Will Sampson and Lucas Cherrington
This course offers a guided, beginner-friendly introduction into the world of beer and beer-tasting. Often the most neglected member of the family of common alcohol, beer has many intricacies and subtleties which the vast majority of people don't get a chance to discover. In addition to the flavors themselves, students will become familiar with the tasting procedures, differences in brewing techniques and processes, and the history of one of the most popular drinks on the planet. * Must be 21 or older to enroll. ID required to register.

* ONE TIME WHISKEY TASTING
Monday 8:00 - 9:30, Tentatively New Hamp Dormitory Lounge
1 session (choose between weeks of Jan 17-Feb 28), $40 per person
Instructor: Yan Fan, bartender
Limit: 7 per class
This one time, 1.5 hour course is perfect for those with an interest in trying something new without time for a six week course. We will try different varieties of whiskey from all over the world. Learn how to enjoy, appreciate, and judge the whiskeys of the world. This is a good class for graduating seniors to take! Learn how to order like a real adult at a bar. *Must be 21 or older to enroll.  ID required to register.

* WINE DISCOVERY
Wednesdays 7-9pm, Collis 101
6 sessions, $80 per person
Instructor: Peter Rutledge
Limit: 25 people
We will learn to really enjoy wine by becoming familiar with its components from farm to hype, major viticultural techniques, grape varieties, deciphering labels, and sensory evaluation. *Must be 21 or older to enroll.  ID required to register. First session mandatory.

* BARTENDING - MIXOLOGY 101
Tentatively Sundays, Collis 218 and One Wheelock
6 sessions, $50 per person
Instructor: Yan Fan, bartender
Be the knowledgeable drinker! Instruction on basic bartending skills, alcohol safety, the history and process of different types of alcohol, and how to make a variety of mixed beverages. By the end of this course you will have superior knowledge of different types of alcohol and drink recipes and have mastered basic bartending skills. *No real alcohol will be used.

EXERCISE & DANCE CLASSES

* CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS (WUSHU)
Thursdays 4-5:30pm, Occom Commons (6 sessions, no class Jan. 27)
6 sessions, $35 per person
Instructor: Eric Whang
Limit: 10 people
Wushu, also known as Kung Fu, or Chinese Martial Arts, is a traditional part of Chinese culture dating back to 3000 BC. It consists of a variety of fighting styles developed over the centuries and emphasizes physical, metal, and spiritual balance. Through the practice of Wushu, one learns self-defense and awareness of his/her surroundings, as well as ways to control stress.

* INTRO TO POPPING
Mondays 5:30-6:30, FUEL
6 sessions, $30 per person
Instructor: Samuel Tan Jun Jie
Limit: 14 people
Popping is an old-school street dance style centered around the use of muscle contractions and poses. Popping has gained immense popularity over the past decade, often featured in music videos, movies and hip-hop routines. This 6 lesson dance course aims to introduce dancers of all levels of experience to the fundamentals of popping, including hitting, dimestopping, botting and airposing. No prior dance experience is required. Lessons will move along at a progressive pace, with more of a focus on techniques than choreography. Sign up and pick up one of the hottest street dance styles today!

* INTERMEDIATE/ ADVANCED JAZZ & MODERN DANCE
Mondays 4:45-6pm, Goldstein Occom Commons (McLaughlin), *first class Jan. 24th
6 sessions, $35 per person
Instructor: Katherine Shelton
Limit: 12 people
A jazz/modern dance class for students with at least some background in dance. We will focus on both technique and style! Class would be fast-paced and consist of stretch/warm up, across the floor exercises, and choreography.

* INTRO TO SWING, LATIN, AND BALLROOM DANCE
Mondays 6:30-7:30, Collis Common Ground
6 sessions, $45 per person
Instructor: Jenny Gelfan
Limit: 30 people
Get into the fun, excitement and companionship of partner dancing. The introductory   class will introduce you to the basics of the most popular dances. At the end of six weeks, you will be able to dance with a partner confidently and comfortably to different kinds of music. We will start with swing, waltz, merengue and foxtrot.

* SWING, LATIN, AND BALLROOM DANCE FOR EXPERIENCED DANCERS
Mondays 7:30-8:30, Collis Common Ground
6 sessions, $45 per person
Instructor: Jenny Gelfan
Limit: 30 people
This class is for people who know the basics of several partner dances, such as swing,   waltz, tango and salsa. Learn more style and steps in the dances you know, and try new dances, such as rumba and cha-cha. We will focus on leading and following and connecting with the music as well.

* YOGA, MEDITATION, AND CHANTING
Tuesdays 5-7pm, FUEL
6 sessions, $50 per person
Instructor: Rebecca Drapkin
Limit: 15 people
This class runs for two hours and is an introduction to the physical and spiritual discipline of yoga. The first hour and twenty minutes will be a challenging, yet beginner friendly physical Hatha yoga class focusing on building strength, flexibility, and balance. The next part of class will be dedicated to meditation, incorporating chanting and breathing techniques. We will conclude each class with a ten to fifteen minute discussion about yogic philosophy and how to apply it in every day life. By the end of the course, students should feel more at peace with themselves and should be healthier in mind, body, and soul.

* ZUMBAŽ LATIN AEROBIC FITNESS
Wednesdays 7:30-8:30pm, FUEL
6 sessions, $35 per person
Instructor: Sierra Varela ([log in to unmask])
Limit: 14 people
ZumbaŽ is a Latin based aerobic fitness program created in the mid 90's. The ZumbaŽ program fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create a one-of-a-kind fitness program. ZumbaŽ Fanatics achieve long-term benefits while experiencing an absolute blast in one exciting hour of calorie-burning, body-energizing, awe-inspiring movements meant to engage and captivate for life!

ARTS & CRAFTS

* PRESSED FLOWER STATIONARY
Fridays 3-4:30pm, Collis 218
6 sessions, $45 per person
Instructor: Yoon Ji Kim
Learn to collect and preserve the local greenery and create innovative pressed flower stationery that will put Hallmark to shame. We will make charming cards and decorated envelopes featuring birds plumed with forget-me-nots, girls wearing geranium petticoats, valentines of rose petals and much more.  All materials provided.

* DRAWING
Wednesdays 8-9pm, Collis 212
6 sessions, $40
Instructor: Lin Bo
Come have fun drawing from life with pencil and charcoal! We learn about using line, shape, and shadow in our drawings to express what we see and think. All drawing materials will be provided.

NEW SKILLS

* SPEED READING
Tuesday, January 11 - Collis 212
Thursday, January 13 - Collis 101
Tuesday, January 18 - Collis 212
Thursday, January 20 - Collis 101
4 sessions, $35 per person
Instructor: Carl Thum
Limit: 20 people
Sign up and find the time to put more fun into your winter at Dartmouth! This course is essentially a speed reading course, but with plenty of information and practice on comprehension skills, too. You will find ways to read more, read more in less time, get more out of your reading, and you may just find time to read for pleasure in the time you have left!

* DJ-ING 101
Two sessions: Mondays 7-8 or 8-9pm, FUEL
6 sessions, $35 per person
Instructor: Trey Rey (DJ Enzo)
Limit: 8 people per session
Learn the basics of DJing equipment, how to beatmatch, how to work effects into sets, and other general DJing rules of thumb.

* STRATEGIC MONOPOLY
Wednesdays 7-8:30pm, Collis 219 on first meeting
6 sessions, $20 per person
Instructor: Zachary Blatt
Limit: 4, 7 or 8 people
This course, taught by a semi-finalist in the 2009 Monopoly National Championship Tournament, will provide an introduction to Monopoly and help participants hone their Monopoly skills. The course will focus on strategic elements of the game including risk analysis, trade valuation, mortgage considerations, and auction strategies.

* FINANCIAL MODELING FOR INVESTMENT BANKING
TBA
Instructor: Ram Kolluri
6 sessions, $45 per person
Limit: 18 people
The course will go through corporate valuation and learn how to apply it to models in Investment Banking using Microsoft Excel. Course will go through Financial Statement Modeling, Public / Acquisition Comparables,  Discounted Cash Flows, and Leveraged Buy-out modeling (LBO). Students will build their own working financial operating models and learn how to use Excel.